Currin's for Drugs
Originally established by Smith & Miner as the ‘North Bank Pharmacy’ in the French Block during 1906. The first prescription sold for 25 cents. The French Block was a two-story brick building on the corner of Lombard and Oswego. Clarence and Zula Currin purchased the store in 1909 and moved the location to a building near the corner of Jersey and Leavitt. In 1917 they upgraded their store again, this time leasing the building on 106 W Philadelphia St. (7334 N Philadelphia Ave.) Their final location was at 8438 N Lombard St.
Just to the right of the street car is Currin's for Drugs. St. Johns Pharmacy was in the Cochran Block, their sign can be seen on the right. Photo from A Pictorial History of St. Johns. Click to Enlarge
VINTAGE PORTLAND - Currin's for Drugs - 1932
The Currin family sold the drug store in October 1961 to Elise and Wayne Hatch, who kept the old name. By the 1980s competition from larger stores was causing a dwindling clientele. Currins became a Western Union certified location to drum up more business. After 91 years the pharmacy closed in 1997. Pay Less purchased the building and stock after it closed.
St. Johns Pharmacy
The St Johns Pharmacy was the first drug store in St Johns. It opened in May of 1905 where the Slim's building is now. They later moved across the street next to what is now the Central Hotel building.
It is believed the St. Johns Pharmacy, owned by a Mr. Grite or Grice, was first located at 108 N. Jersey. After a short time they moved across the street to 111 N. Jersey. Prior to 1931 St. Johns Pharmacy was purchased by Lee Witty.
By 1931 Lee Witty had relocated to 116 S. Jersey.
Everhart Drug Company
Like the St. Johns Pharmacy Frank Everhart's Rexall Drugstore had started out in what is now the Slim's building, 108 N. Jersey, eventually moving to 111 N Jersey. In time this was to become the location of St. Johns Booksellers.
Glenn Davis became a partner in Frank Everhart's drugstore in 1933. After Frank Everhart retired Glenn and his wife Marguerite took over complete ownership of the business.
St. Johns Rexall Drug
In 1952 Glenn Davis bought out Lee Witty's interest in St. Johns Drugs, closed his Everhart's Rexall Drug, moving the combined businesses into Witty's location at 8501 N. Lombard.
The St Johns Rexall Drug store was purchased in 1976 by Ken Tehair, who in 1981 turned the business over to Jerry Rood. Ultimately the store was forced to close because of competition from major chain stores.